Hi, my name is Andy and I work in the City of London.
Brought up in a scientist family and with an education that includes a degree in Physics, I have often been troubled by the different paradigms that exist in the world of science and the world of big business. I set up this blog to discuss, among other things, whether science and business are in any way compatible.
Other things on my radar include:
- The use (or not) of science in government policymaking
- The use of science and evidence in management decision making
- Management literature and self-help books
- The science behind key economic.political principles such as laissez faire capitalism, regulation and public/private/socialist institutions
- Interpretations of concepts such as economic growth, market stability and the economic crash as discussed in the general media and its relationship to key scientific principles
- General promotion of skeptical communities and critical thinking vs pseudoscience and superstition
This blog entirely consists of my own personal views. It is in no way affiliated with any corporate/non-corporate entities or special interest groups. I do however consider myself a skeptic and broadly support some of the views of other skeptical organisations, and will likely link to a number of them during the course of my blogging. I am not currently a member or spokesperson for any other skeptic group.
I am not affiliated with any political party and do not consider myself to be a subscriber to any of the main political ideologies (I would consider myself a typical floating voter!).
I do not receive any money or other compensation due to my activities on the City Skeptic blog.